Monday, April 18, 2011

Sergei Bobrovsky: From Playoff Starter To Sitting In The Press Box Without An Injury

After starting Game 1 and 2 of the Conference Quarterfinals, Sergei Bobrovsky will find himself in a new role for Game 3: sitting in the press box as Brian Boucher starts and Michael Leighton backs him up on the bench.

I said on Twitter and perhaps even in the live blog on Saturday that I would much prefer to have Boucher coming in off the bench to relieve Bob than Bob coming in off the bench to relieve Boucher. That being said, I would much rather have a toddler come off the bench to relieve Boucher than Michael freakin' Leighton, who is not very good at hockey.

As far as Laviolette' reasons for doing so: I do not know. Starting Brian Boucher in this game is not the worst decision he has ever made. Boucher and Bobrovsky have sort of been 1A and 1B all year. Bob started 52 games, Boucher started 29 games, and Leighton started 1 game against Los Angeles for shits and giggles. Much was made about the calming influence Boucher brought to the team once he came in for Bobrovsky in Game 2. That could be a part of it. Another part of it could be the following quotes from Bobrovsky gathered by Teemu H, the guy in charge for following Flyers prospects in Europe.

"Physically I'm feeling normal. Mentally... not really. But I'll get over it soon." - Bobrovsky on last game.
"Whatever the coach decides, so be it. I will accept any decision." - Bobrovsky on who starts Game 3.
"I let in 3 goals. It's my job to stop the puck. 3 goals on 7 shots. That's unacceptable. Thanks to the guys we won." - Bob on his game.
Maybe the benching has something to do with this. Maybe it does not. I have no problem with Boucher starting Game 3 of the playoffs tonight. He has performed fine for the Flyers all year. But should Boucher he falter, the last person I want to see between the pipes for the Flyers is Michael Leighton.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read the Commenting Guidelines before commenting.