Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Pat Burrell: The Legend Returns To Philadelphia

Pat Burrell is a hero to some and a legend to those who have heard about/witnessed his antics. Someone who can personally attest to Burrell's awesomeness is Aubrey Huff, currently Burrell's teammate in San Francisco. Back in college at the University of Miami, Pat Burrell and Aubrey Huff were students together. When Huff first came to Miami, he was (believe it or not), a relatively shy person. But then he met Pat The Bat. And everything changed. From The Mercury News.
"After two weeks at Miami, I wanted to go home," Huff said. "So my mom flies out, trying to convince me to stay. I was living

with two seniors, and they ragged me, too. I just didn't understand all this baseball ragging nonsense. She's in my room one night and I'm sitting on my bed and she's telling me to give it another two weeks.

"Anyway, there's a knock on the door, and before I can even get off the bed, Pat comes barging in with a six-pack in his hand, dripping wet, buck naked.

"So I jumped up and shut the door. Coming from Texas, these things didn't happen. I said, 'See what I'm dealing with here, Mom?'

"She just started laughing and said, 'Actually, Aubrey, that's pretty darn funny.'

"I thought, 'My God, if my mom can laugh at this, why can't I?' "
Pat Burrell has many great stories attached to him, but that has to be one of the best.

All funny stories about Burrell aside, he will be playing his 1st regular season game at Citizens Bank Park since the 2008 World Series. Any Phillies "fan" that is at that game and does not give Pat Burrell a standing ovation should be instantly deported to the Sahara for life.

1 comment:

  1. "Back in spring training, he couldn't stop staring at teammate Nate Schierholtz's washboard abs. Finally, he snapped a cell phone picture and sent it to his wife with the message, "Look honey, I've been working out!"

    God, I love Aubrey Huff.

    ReplyDelete

Read the Commenting Guidelines before commenting.