Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Eagles New Starting QB: Mike Vick

The Eagles only had a national media manufactured QB controversy before.  Now they have a real one.  I give you the stupidest thing Andy Reid has ever done.
Andy Reid has announced that Michael Vick is the Eagles starting quarterback

Has nothing to do with Kevin Kolb or his injury, his future is "not slighted one bit." Still says he can be a franchise quarterback.

Says it's all about Vick's "accelerated play." Calls Vick "the hottest quarterback in the NFL." Says Vick deserves to play, Kolb will be allowed to continue his maturation process.

Says it's his responsibility to continue evaluating and Vick's accelerated play prompted the decision to make a change.

Was asked whether one half of play was enough to evaluate Kolb. Andy says it wasn't about judging Kolb, he'll still be a Superbowl level QB. However, when you have a guy playing at the level that Vick is you have to let him play.

Reid says that this will help Kevin Kolb's maturation process and he will get to continue to learn.

Reid says he didn't expect the accelerated play of Vick when he made the decision to go with Kolb in preseason.

Says he's been meeting with Kolb over the past two days and that he wants to be the starter, but has accepted the decision. He says Kolb is unfortunately stuck behind an "Ex superstar that has now regained his abilities."

Reid says the team has seen the great play from Vick over the past two weeks and that has factored into the decision.
This team needs to win the Super Bowl now. If not, this move is a failure.

The entire franchise is set back a year now. The 1st rendition of the "Kevin Kolb era" lasted 10 passes. This year was always the developmental year. Now it's next year. I've defended Kolb on here for weeks. You know where I stand. I won't re-iterate my same talking points.

And, although I think this is the dumbest move Andy made in 10 years, maybe (read: I hope to fucking god) he sees something in Vick that includes more being able to tear up a defense unprepared for him and a defense that flat out sucks. It is absolutely unlike Andy to make a knee-jerk move like this. In a way that's encouraging. In another way, it reeks of desperation. I've always considered Reid very good if not great at player management. Maybe he thinks he is outsmarting everyone again. But, isn't this what everyone has been saying? JasonB of Bleeding Green Nation called this the "most Un-Andy move Andy has ever made." Can't say I disagree with him there. I've never been more shocked or surprised about a personnel move the Eagles have made since the start of Andy Reid's tenure. I admit, I did not see this coming at all. At all.

I've always seen Kolb as a 2-year plan. Reid's job was always safe through this year into last year. If this bombs, I think this could be the last big move he makes.

I hope Reid is right. I want Andy to be right. I want him to be right about this more than he has ever been right about anything in his life. I've always wanted Vick to succeed after prison and I am glad he is being given an opportunity he has probably earned (though I always thought that opportunity would be cashed in elsewhere). Michael Vick is now my quarterback and he has my undying support. If everything I said about Mike Vick and Kolb from the past few weeks is wrong, I will be the happiest Eagles fan ever. Happy not only to have witnessed the most successful reclamation project in football history, but this move being a success means Michael Vick would have accomplished something the Eagles have not done since 1960.

4 comments:

  1. What a stupid move. Was there any point in trading McNabb if you weren't going to play Kolb after all of this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ SSR: Nate Allen FTW! At least that part of the trade has gone to plan.

    I think there were multiple points in trading McNabb, not all for Kolb. The fans were tired of his leadersihp problems, the locker room was getting tired of his leadership problems, people were getting tired of his passive aggressiveness ("we showed our youth," said by McNabb after one of the Cowboys losses last year, I believe). But Kolb was the icing on that cake, the nail in that coffin, the final dagger that sealed McNabb's fate.

    I am not a conspiracy theorist, but there has gotta be more to this than Andy Reid is letting on to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHAHA! Bye Bye birdies. Im sorry, but GOD this is awesome. Get ready to be a hyprocrit DeSean. Saying all your bull to McNabb about how Kolb is Godsend. I agree w/ SSR...If my team needed a QB I'd pick McNabb over Vick anytime. Apparently the Eagles like Vick more. This definitley creates a budding relationship between Kolb and Reid/Banner/dipshits in front office. Franchise QB my ass. Last time I checked most franchise QBs have to, uh i dont know, START! I get the waiting game completely, but once hes in there hes in there. You take him out. You know...like something else in life. Maybe there is more to Kolb's head injury than what is being let out. If so then good for the Eagles for keeping it safe. If not then well...HAHAHA!

    As for the Kolb being traded thing, if that actually happens me and EVERY football fan out there will be laughing their asses off at the Eagles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Alky: You have every right to be happy to about this. Maybe this makes the Eagles marginally better this year (emphasis on maybe and marginally), but long-term this is a very poor and hasty decision.

    Kolb has not requested a trade and the Kolb to Cleveland rumors have been vehemently denied.

    ReplyDelete

Read the Commenting Guidelines before commenting.