Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Eagles Minor Trade Inspires My Fantasy Football Team Name

Admittedly I have never played fantasy football before, but when an increasing curiosity combined with an invite to join SSR's Fantasy League Invitational earlier this evening, I decided to join the club and play fantasy football for the first time this year. Now, as with every fantasy football team, there needs to be a clever name. Well, I guess there does not need to be, but if you ever want to be taken seriously, you need to be kind of clever with your name, pr so that's how it seems. My team name: Calvin And Hobbs. Given that the other 2 options I thought of were "Corn On The Kolb" and "Riley Cooper's Amazing Good Looks," I am confident I made the right decision with team name.

Anyway, the Calvin And Hobbs back story. Yesterday the Philadelphia Eagles made a minor move that normally would not gain much note at all. They traded the 200th pick in the 2010 draft, Charles Scott, for the 201st pick in the 2010 draft, Jorrick Calvin. Scott had no chance of making the Eagles and Calvin had no chance of making the Cardinals, so in that respect, the trade sort of makes sense. But here is the kicker. Jorrick Calvin is a cornerback. It just so happens that one of the Eagles starting CBs this year is Ellis Hobbs. Thus, 2 of the Eagles CBs are Calvin and Hobbs.

For the sake of the Eagles defense, I just hope that the Calvin and Hobbes comparisons ends here.

16 comments:

  1. Google was pissing me off so Im just using this....

    Haha I always wondered if you did Fantasy Football. Tell you what, it is real fun. The only issue I ever had with it was that I was worried the love of my FF (Fatasy Football) team would override that of the Giants to the point where I would be rooting for Donovan McNabb (gasp) to do good. Well it didnt.

    Did you have your draft yet? Gotta tell me your team. As a League Champion from last year (hold your applause) I know my way around a team. That was only my second year too...first year you gotta get the rookie mistakes (drafting 3 QBs) outta the way and then your good.

    Last question...do you know what server SSR is using? I personally do ESPN because NFL.COM was fucking up all the time.

    By the way, great name.

    Remember I gots to hear your team. haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I'm using Flea Flicker (I used it last year). If you want to join create an account and the link is here. Password is "ssr".

    http://www.fleaflicker.com/nfl/league?leagueId=98972

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Alky: The draft is next Wednesday at 8 PM ET. Don't worry, I will post the team then.

    I am going to experience a similar dilemma myself as I am really looking at drafting Aaron Rodgers and starting him week 1 against the Eagles defense. That being said, I have not quite figured out what position I am going to draft first. I have read in some places RB is the best way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha wow...ill be glad to join...I normally wouldnt like having two teams (already have one) but Ill make an exception.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Few Things

    Boring name I know...I won last year w/ it though so Im sticking to it

    @SSR: Starting TM? Is that D/ST?
    Also is this a snake?

    The draft is Wednesday Sept 8th at 8:00 P.M E.T to confirm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh ya and Flea Eligidble means what?

    ReplyDelete
  7. TM is team Defense and Special Teams.

    Flea Eligible means your past experience which I set at the minimum (meaning anyone can join).

    Be sure you all have JavaScript for the draft and if you're not available fix your draft rankings so it will pick the best available player for your position of need.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ SSR: Is it just us that are going to be in this league or are you inviting some friends from other places? I personally don't care, I am just curious so I know what to expect on draft day in terms of what players may or may not be available as the draft goes on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a 12 team league so I'm inviting people I know from other sites as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope I have javascript...hahaha. I know my comp works on ESPNs whatever that is. Should be fun all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ya I obviously know this is a sports blog, but how do I know if java is working. My computer says it has J2SE Runtime Environment, but yet I dont think Java works.

    ReplyDelete
  12. For the mock drafts JFein, do you need Java for that too because I can test it out on thaat.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome it works! (4 comments in a row a record?)

    ReplyDelete
  14. @ Alky: I am glad to see you got the problem worked out. I have never played fantasy or used flea flicker before, but from what I could tell, the real draft will be set up the same way as the mock drafts. If the mock works for you, I can assume that the real thing will work as well.

    ReplyDelete

Read the Commenting Guidelines before commenting.