Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Eagles Sure Up Their Backfield, Sign Free Agent Running Back Mike Bell

I may have something up tonight or tomorrow on what was nothing more of an abortion of a hockey game today, but I will start out my next pair of posts on a more positive note with the Eagles. The Saints had their week to match the deal the Eagles were giving Mike Bell and they have decided not to match it. Thus, the Eagles now have that veteran running back they needed behind LeSean McCoy and perhaps a 3rd back to make for a McCoy-Weaver-Bell 3-headed monster coming out of the backfield. That is, assuming that Andy Reid decided to actually run the ball.

It's a 1-year offer for Bell and while I see some potential problems for him if the Eagles do not improve their offensive line, I think this is a good move for them. Bell averaged 3.8 yards per carry last season with one of the best offensive lines in the league. I am a tad worried about what he will do with an offensive line in Philly that is nowhere near as good as the one he had in New Orleans. I know it may seem contradictory, but the Eagles needed a veteran running back and he is probably one of the top remaining backs that fit that category. Besides, I can now breath easy knowing that LaDainian Tomlinson won't be coming here.

That's all I have on this, as frankly, the NHL has me too pissed off right now. I'll have something up on that soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read the Commenting Guidelines before commenting.