Sunday, June 13, 2010

June 14, 15, And 16 FIFA World Cup Open Thread

I am working all day Monday, likely working all day Tuesday, and doing volunteer work in a house George Washington once slept in for a few days during the Revolutionary War on Wednesday. Even though I am going to avoid the internet as much as I can, if I can escape this and catch up without coming across a single spoiler anywhere, I'll consider myself the luckiest man in the world. Regardless, I am stubborn and will try to do so anyway.

June 14
Group E: Netherlands vs. Denmark 7:30 AM (Johannesburg SC) (ESPN - Adrian Healey and John Harkes)
Group E: Japan vs. Cameroon 10:00 AM (Bloemfontein) (ESPN - Derek Rae and Robbie Mustoe)
Group F: Italy vs. Paraguay 2:30 (Cape Town) (ESPN - Ian Darke and Efan Ekoku)

June 15
Group F: New Zealand vs. Slovakia 7:30 AM (Rustenburg) (ESPN - Adrian Healey and John Harkes)
Group G: Ivory Coast vs. Portugal 10:00 AM (Port Elizabeth) (ESPN - Ian Darke and Efan Ekoku)
Group G: Brazil vs. North Korea 2:30 (Johannesburg EPS) (ESPN - Martin Tyler and Ally McCoist)

June 16

Group H: Honduras vs. Chile 7:30 AM (Nelspruit) (ESPN - Adrian Healey and John Harkes)
Group H: Spain vs. Switzerland 10:00 AM (Durban) (ESPN - Derek Rae and Robbie Mustoe)
Group A: South Africa vs. Uruguay 2:30 (Pretoria) (ESPN - Martin Tyler and Ally McCoist)

Seeing as I won't be around for a few days, here are some random notes.

My favorite country not named the United States: Denmark. I was in Copenhagen few years ago and it is a simply stunning place.
Least favorite country: North Korea. They are commies. Enough said. I am usually a big underdog fan, but this is one underdog I would not mind seeing trounced 8-0 by Brazil.
Bold Upset Prediction: Paraguay over Italy.

Feel free to clog this comment section up all you want and I will see you all later in the week!

10 comments:

  1. "Least favorite country: North Korea. They are commies. Enough said. I am usually a big underdog fan, but this is one underdog I would not mind seeing trounced 8-0 by Brazil."

    You sound like my dad, Justin. Why not call them Pinkos?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually feel sorry for the North Korean players. I can only imagine the treatment Kim Jong's going to give them when they get back to Pyongyang with 3 L's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You came within 15 minutes of calling it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, was that Ivory Coast-Portugal game ever boring. Very disappointing, considering the players involved.

    Hopefully Brazil-North Korea will be more entertaining

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Ivory Coast had a promising attack, but the players were all singing from different hymn books." --Ian Darke

    ReplyDelete
  6. "As a Scotsman, I'm slightly embarrassed to say I'm cold"--Ally McCoist


    nice decision by ESPN to use filters to minimize the vuvuzelas

    ReplyDelete
  7. North Korea has hired Chinese actors to play the part of North Korean fans

    "You got to admit-that's not a bad acting job."--Ally McCoist

    ReplyDelete
  8. And, Brazil survives a game North Korean team to end Day 5 with a 2-1 victory in the "Group of Death".

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what a shocking upset. Swiss 1-0 Spain

    ReplyDelete
  10. And, I'd like to thank South Africa for participating in the 2010 World Cup. Uruguay 3 South Africa 0 in a game that saw RSA dominated and their goalie sent off. It's not looking good for the home team.

    ReplyDelete

Read the Commenting Guidelines before commenting.