Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The Eagles Have Finally Signed Jeremy Maclin

Well it's about time! As you may or may not have noted, my Eagles preview was typed late last night so I was unable to give you the news that Jeremy Maclin has reached a deal with the Eagles. It is a 5-year contract. CSN Philly has the details.

Late Monday night the Eagles and first-round pick Jeremy Maclin agreed to a five-year deal reportedly worth $15.5 million, $9.5 million of which is guaranteed.

That deal is worth slightly more than the one received by the 20th overall pick, tight end Brandon Pettigrew, who according to NFL.com signed a five-year, $14.6 million deal that included $9.4 million guaranteed.

Maclin is the 23rd first-round pick to agree to terms. However, the negotiation process cost him the first 13 practices of training camp, valuable time considering how complicated the offense is for rookies to master.

The wide receiver out of Missouri will be trying to earn playing time in a deep group of receivers led by second-year pro DeSean Jackson along with veterans Kevin Curtis and Jason Avant.

The Eagles also hope Maclin can preserve Jackson by handling the punt return duties.
Didn't we initially get DeSean Jackson for punt returning duties? Amazing the difference that one year makes.

I said this before, but I'll say it again. Jeremy Maclin is a good kid and I am proud to have him with the Eagles, now that he is actually signed with the Eagles. And despite missing practices, Maclin is confident that he can make the time up. Once again via CSN Philly

“I pick up things very easily,” Maclin said. “I think I’m smart and I can do things like that. I’m going to take what I learned in minicamp and hopefully translate it out here.”

In addition to the minicamps, Maclin also participated in Donovan McNabb’s annual camp in Arizona.

“I think not only was it connecting on a football level but also on a more personal level,” Maclin said. “It’s kind of off the radar. You’re kind of out there doing your thing, having fun, joking around, talking to each other but at the same time getting work in.”
Suffice to say, I look forward to Jeremy Maclin being in an Eagles uniform! Actually, I just can't wait to see Eagles uniforms. Period.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read the Commenting Guidelines before commenting.