Monday, July 27, 2009

NBC-Universal Officially Hates Soccer Fans

Oy ve. I can't....I can't even.....oy ve.

And I thought that yesterday's CONCACAF Gold Cup Final was bad. That pales in comparison to what you are about to read. If you're a soccer fan (or just a sports fan in general), I would suggest you stop reading now and/or have a trash can right next to you as what you are about to read will utterly sicken you.

First off, Stupid Sideline Reporters sets the background better than I ever could so I'll use his blockquote to set the stage for the worst news you'll probably hear today.

NBC Universal had the rights to the upcoming crucial World Cup qualifier between the US and Mexico at the Azteca Stadium. Since NBC couldn’t care about what the viewer thinks (hence why their ratings suck), so they tried to sell it to good ol’ ESPN, who normally handle USMNT games. Sadly, ESPN wasn’t interested in paying a pretty penny for a qualifier that could see Mexico either extend their unbeaten streak in qualifiers against the US or be in grave danger of missing the World Cup altogether.

So NBC Universal stuck it on some digital channel that I bet very few people know even existed. No problem, you can watch on Univision right? Well it’s NBC Universal so they put the Spanish-language option on Telemundo.
So as of now it's still just a meh deal, right? Well The Washington Post has the kicker for you. But before you read anymore, please, make sure there is a trash can right next to you. I don't want to be responsible for any furniture damage. Via The Washington Post

The Insider has learned that GolTV's Phil Schoen and former USA defender Marcelo Balboa will form the English-language announcing team for the USA-Mexico World Cup qualifier Aug. 12 on mun2, the cable outlet operated by Telemundo. Andres Cantor and Sammy Sadovnik will do commentary on Spanish-language Telemundo. The Spanish duo will be on site in Mexico City, the English tandem will not. The English audio will be available on Telemundo for those who have Secondary Audio Programming (SAP) capability.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The good news is is that I don't get mun2. The bad news is I don't get Telemundo. I am hoping (probably against hope) that it will be picked up by GolTV and I can watch the game there (it'd be hoping too much that the Spanish broadcast to be the one picked up by GolTV). If not, I am at the mercy of what online streams I can find. On the plus side, if the game is another fail like yesterday and I'm stuck with the English version, I'll have a list of quotes I submit to AA, right?

Sigh.....hope springs eternal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read the Commenting Guidelines before commenting.