Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Sean McDermott Gets His Thom Brennaman On When Discussing B-Dawk

There are certain words, phrases, and expressions that hold true in life, but at the same time, should never be uttered in a public forum. These are the types of things that you tell your friends or family when discussing a person, yet should not be said in public situations. The phrase, I am talking about is "You're a better person for spending time with such-and-such a person".

When discussing Brian Dawkins, Sean McDermott decided to follow that route, channel his inner Thom Brennaman and said "You're a better person for being around Brian Dawkins". From Philly Inquirer Staffwriter Bob Brookover

"I thought he had a heck of a year last year," he said yesterday. "I think he was the first or second most productive player on defense for us last year and, as Brian Dawkins has done over the course of his career here, when we were making our stretch run last year, he was in the zone as they say. He was putting together back-to-back games that were as good as any safety in the league at that time.

"It was sick. There were times I was just hands off with him. Just like any guy who is in a groove, you just give him what he needs and let him go."

When Dawkins left as a free agent, McDermott was saddened by the news.

"We had a special relationship," McDermott said. "How often do you coach a guy that is older than you are? He embraced me when I was one of the youngest position coaches in the NFL. We grew together and we developed a lot of trust in one another, at least from my perspective.

"With the impact that Brian has had on this city and this organization, you hate to see the business side of it be the reason for the separation. Because of the way this organization has embraced Brian and the way Brian has embraced this organization and this city, you hated to see that relationship come to an end."

McDermott, who is five months and eight days younger than Dawkins, said he called the safety shortly after he signed with Denver, but it was only to say thank you.

"I told him I appreciated everything that he'd done for me," McDermott said. "He's been a positive influence on my life. You're a better person for being around Brian Dawkins."
Okay, maybe that is true and maybe that's not, but I do have a basic problem with such a statement that goes well beyond the obvious and the laughable.

And maybe McDermott is right about Brian Dawkins and maybe what Thom Brennaman says about Brennaman is true and that you really are a better person by spending 15-20 minutes with Tebow, I can't tell you for sure, I can't give my opinion of Tebow or Dawkins like that, I've never met them, but my problem is that there are other people out there like that. You know, everydays joes and janes who go above and beyond anything ever asked of them in helping people out and improving their lives and inspiring people that never get the public credit that they ever deserve. Of course, we are talking about athletes and everything they do gets more attention than everyday people, that's not news.

I guess my beef all comes down to the fact that I can honestly say I have met someone that changed and positively affected my life in a short time, and it bothers me that the glorifying of these athletes almost takes away from all she does and all that everyone like her does.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read the Commenting Guidelines before commenting.