Thursday, December 24, 2009

So This Is Christmas

Modern times has not made this time of year the easiest time of year because let's face it, if I come on here and just say "Merry Christmas", I'm a religiously insensitive douche bag, but if I just say "Happy Holidays", then I am a politically correct douche bag. Either way, some will perceive me as a douche bag.

That being said, even though I am for all intents and purposes atheist/agnostic, every December 25, my family, mostly Catholic, get together and exchange gifts and feast on lasagna made by my grandmother. It's not really much of a religious gathering other than some of my family saying grace before the meal. As an unknowing kid, they always made me say it, so now, whenever they turn to me to reprise my role, I try to pass it off that I forget or that one of my younger cousins who are Catholic should do it. This year if put in the situation I should might try my great Aunt, also Catholic. Besides, all of the above would get a greater thrill out of it then I would if I was religious.

For some slightly different music, try Shinedown's take on "Happy X-Mas (War is Over)" and Taylor Swift's version of the popular Wham Christmas tune, "Last Christmas". You're not gonna find too many original Christmas songs these days, so you take what you can get and these are certainly good ones.

So in order to cover all of my bases possible,

Merry Christmas
A belated Happy Hanukkah
Happy Kwanza
Happy Boxing Day
Happy Chrismahanukwanzakah (the original mash-up of the big 3)
Happy Chrismahanuboxingdaykwanzakah (sadly the original forgot everyone's favorite non-American Bank Holiday)

What I'm trying to say is, all the best to everyone and your families!

War is over if you want it.

3 comments:

  1. John Lennon's original is still better due to the Yoko Ono factor.

    Favorite Christmas song, despite it having to do little with Christmas, is Same Auld Lang Syne by Dan Fogelberg. Fantastic story.


    Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ SSR: I agree that Lennon's is better, I just felt like throwing around some covers out there for a slightly different sound.

    Indeed, merry Christmas and happy new year to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very late, but I hope everyone had a great Christmas and a fantastic holiday season!

    Go O's in 2010!

    ReplyDelete

Read the Commenting Guidelines before commenting.