Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Great Moments In Sports, #6 (Controversial NFL Moments)

An NFL Films highlight package that takes a look at the game that started a dynasty.



The original broadcast from the Immaculate Reception which was replayed during halftime the 1997 AFC Championship. How something this old and seemingly this obscure (we're not exactly talking Zapruder Film here, although I'm pretty sure the video and replays of this play have been analyzed as much as the Zapruder Film) was uploaded on to YouTube in January of this year is beyond me. And I'm obviously calling a 1997 halftime show, obscure, not the play itself.



I did not originally intend for the Raiders to be in every video here, but that seems to Raiders, I guess. Here's Holy Roller!



See Raiders fans, you do occasionally get the lucky breaks! ;-)

Transitioning from the Raiders, though, it's my perhaps my favorite controversial play in all of sports. This is the one play that I have watched over and over again for hours on end. It has been debated so much that it is utterly forgotten that Rob Johnson was the starting quarterback in this game. And to top it off, we've got Mike Patrick, Joe Theismann, and Paul Maguire on the call! I've said enough. Cue The Music City Miracle!



I have seen the video and replay of this play so many times and from every angle that is out there that I have come to the unequivocal conclusion that that was 100% a lateral and for those that say it was not, that is something I am willing to debate with anyone at anytime. Look at the replay at 3 minute mark and don't watch Wychek and Dyson, just follow the ball. Follow the trajectory of the ball. It is on a backwards trajectory! Bills fans will never tell you so. They will never admit it. And frankly, seeing as they have not been in a playoff game since, their eyes have been trained to see a forward pass on that play. They can't see the lateral. But it is there. On an unrelated note, I think that JC is glad that I have a video that features The Greatness That Is Mike Patrick, Joe Theismann, And Paul Maguire In A Booth Together.

And unrelated to football and sports, but seeing as I posted an MXC video in my first GMIS post and as howI'm live blogging I Survived A Japanese Game Show over at The O Files tonight at 9 PM ET, I figured why not put up a video of the final challenge from last season.



Hai majide!

2 comments:

  1. Sorry, JFein, but the Bills got hosed. good job putting this collection together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, but that was definitley, without question, a lateral. Don't look at Wycheck and Dyson, they contribute to the rather convincing optical illusion that it's a forward pass. Just watch the ball. It's not thrown forward, and just focus on the ball, the ball is moving in a backwards direction.

    ReplyDelete

Read the Commenting Guidelines before commenting.