Friday, June 19, 2009

RIP Gary Papa, 1954-2009

I know that most of you probably don't know who he is, but Gary Papa was a sports anchor for WVPI-TV (6ABC) and was perhaps one of the most recognizable and beloved faces in local Philadelphia sports coverage. You'd be hardpressed someone in the Philly media market who did not know who Gary Papa was.

While I do not watch as much local news as I once did, I remember as a kid when my grandparents would babysit me when both of my parents were working, they would always have 6ABC on and Gary Papa would always be there to do the sports during the 6:00 PM broadcast.

What makes this more troubling than usual is the fact for the past few years, we were forced to watch him tear away before our very eyes. In 2004, he announced over the air that he was going under chemotherapy for prostate cancer. Gary would fight through it though and continue to work while receiving the therapy. In 2007, it was announced that once again he would once again be receiving chemo for the exact same reasons. After years of battling the cancer, it is what tragically took his life away today.

Here is Jim Gardner, the 6 PM and 11 PM news anchor of 6ABC, breaking the news and giving a very moving tribute.



RIP Gary Papa. You will be missed.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stay classy bro!

    Greg Papa, Gary's brother, gave a very emotional tribute to his brother today before the Giants game. I not ashamed to say I cried a litte.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's horrible.

    my condolences to his family and those who watched and enjoyed his sports commentary.

    ReplyDelete

Read the Commenting Guidelines before commenting.