Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Charlie Davies Is Beyond Human

We all remember a few months ago when U.S. Men's National Team striker Charlie Davies was in a car accident and we all assumed that it was a foregone conclusion that with the injuries he suffered in that accident that Davies would be nowhere close to making to to the World Cup. Well looky here. What once was an impossibility is now looking highly probable and he may even return to the pitch for some club action before that! From Goal.com

Suffering serious injuries to his bladder, right tibia and femur, elbow and face, Davies would have to undergo months of rehabilitation. This month though, just over three months since the accident, Davies is jogging again, according to reports from ESPNsoccernet.

"Charlie is pretty much light years ahead of where anybody would tell you he should be," said Jim Hashimoto, the former U.S. national team trainer who is overseeing Davies rehabilitation. "When everybody heard about the accident, including myself, it was like, 'OK, this is going to be a long one' -- and it's still going to be a long one, but to see his progress is pretty amazing."

Davies himself is confident about his return and expects himself to be back playing with Sochaux by the beginning of March at the very latest. To further that, he not only wants to be back playing, but at the top of his game by the World Cup.

"The World Cup is easy for me to be back for," said Davies. "I want to get back to France, and I don't want to just get back -- I want to be good. I don't want to be that guy just to make the [World Cup] team and just sit there. I want to be back and starting and scoring, playing well and doing the things I know I can do.

"People haven't seen the progress I've made, and maybe they don't know the kind of person I am and the motivation and new appreciation for being able to play that I have."
Wow. How amazing is that.

From an emotional standpoint as well as a soccer standpoint, the kind of boost that that cound provide the USMNT is beyond huge. Davies is an exciting player and if he can play at the World Cup at near full strength, the U.S. just became that more dangerous a foe to deal with and the emotional boost they will have if he plays that first game against England will just be ginormous.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read the Commenting Guidelines before commenting.