Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Are The Yankees And Their Fans Underestimating The Phillies?

If you are a fan of the New York Post, you would probably think that the series was already over. Yankee fans have a reputation for being cocky and confident and boy oh boy, do they ever ooze that in this New York Post article.

"The Yankees are going to make Philly cream cheese out of them," a confident Tommy Bayiokos, 44, predicted yesterday in Midtown.

"Philly fans are a bunch of whiners and should learn how to dress. They should try reading GQ."

Living up to their second-class billing going into the start of the Fall Classic tomorrow, the Phils arrived in New York yesterday -- by train.

The less-than-grand entrance triggered a flood of invective from the Yankee faithful.

"Bleacher Bums get a bad rap," said Tanner McLoud, 42, of Long Island. "But if you've ever been to the old Veterans Stadium in Philadelphia, you'd realize just how much worse Phillies fans are.

"You can't go to a game without getting booze thrown at you!"

"I don't have hate for Philly exactly -- they are like our redheaded stepchild," he said.

"It's like a nothing city. It's just insignificant in comparison to New York."

Another Yankee fan, Laura Nidelle, 24, insists the Yuengling-slinging rubes in Philly are uncultured and uninteresting -- and go to bed too early.

"I briefly lived in Philadelphia and I couldn't wait to get out," the Brooklyn writer said. "Their fans are whiners, the food is lousy and there is nothing to do.

"New York is all about being on top, with no excuses -- just like the Yankees."
I can hear in the back of my mind now all of the pathetic excuses made if the Yankees had to pitch CC Sabathia in Game 7, won that one, and then lost the World Series. Don't get me wrong, though, how it is now is exactly how I want this series.

I definitley think it would be a mistake to underestimate the Phillies. Just look at the Phillies last year. Everyone in Philly did not think they had a prayer and look at how it ended up. I can't say for sure that the Phillies will or won't win this series; the Yankees are a formidable opponent, who, unlike the Yankees of earlier this decade, have geled together and are playing as a cohesive team unit. My prediction is that this thing will go a minimum if 6, and frankly, I'm not going to even venture a guess as to who will win. One thing is for sure, though. The Phillies and the Yankees will be a World Series that you will never forget.

4 comments:

  1. sorry JFein, but I have to admit that I liked the Yuengling slinging rubes line that writer came up with...

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I look for objective newspaper journalism, I always turn to the NY Post. /sarcasm/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, fair and balanced. One of New York City's Finest Vanity Papers owned by an Aussie Buccaneer. Arrrr,,,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let me tell you what, coverage of the World Series does not get any more fair and balanced than this New York Post article!

    /Sarcasm.

    In all seriousness, though, this has to be the worst Day Before The World Series Local Newspaper Build Up that I have ever seen. I did not post this on here, but the Philly Daily News cover story was which Phillie the female sex finds most attractive.

    Hard-hitting journalism at it's very finest!

    ReplyDelete

Read the Commenting Guidelines before commenting.