Sunday, May 9, 2010

Eight Is Great As Chelsea Wins Their 4th EPL Championship

London must now me immersed in a sea of Blue as Chelsea clinched the English Premier League championship with a beyond emphatic 8-0 stomping of Wigan. Chelsea took control of the game from the beginning and Wigan never threatened to score until late in the game when Chelsea already had a touchdown advantage on their lesser adversary.

The game was essentially over in the 31' minute when Caldwell of Wigan committed a penalty on Frank Lampard. Lombard converted the penalty kick to make it 2-0 Chelsea and that would essentially be the end of it. Chelsea would not be through with Wigan though as they added 6-second half goals, including 3 from Didier Drogba that clinched the golden boot for him, to emphatically proclaim that they are the EPL Champions. And when you go unbeaten in a year against the rest of the EPL Big 4, chances are you darn well deserve it. Here is the video of the clinching penalty kick that gave them the 2-0 comfort zone that would never be threatened.



It was a stunning offensive performance all the way around for Chelsea consisting of several beautiful goals and I eagerly anticipate returning from London this August with a Chelsea blue Didier Drogba jersey. Despite his occasional selfishness, he is an extremely entertaining player to watch. I first saw him in the 2006 World Cup, and it is nice to see that he has not changed since (FYI, before anyone starts calling me a bandwagoner and leveling me with the same insults I hurl at Washington Capitals fans, I have all sorts of soccer jerseys because frankly, in the summer, I hate the heat and these jerseys are nice and light, not to mention they are comfortable as hell to wear; I have a Peru jersey, France jersey, FC Barcelona jersey Zlaton Ibrahimovic Inter Milan jersey, and a Tunisia jersey among others).

Aspeaking of the World Cup, we are currently a month and 2 days away from the 2010 FIFA World Cup and even though I probably could not name a single player on some of these teams now, I am stoked nonetheless.

Because honestly, I do not know a whole lot about some of these teams, I will take a different route to preview the World Cup and look at each of the cities and venues in South Africa hosting the World Cup games complete with some prose, facts, and pictures.

The 2006 World Cup was the first time I ever watched soccer and I could not have been more pleased or entertained with the result, and now that I have beyond a firm grasp of the basic rules of the sport (something I did not as I tuned into to see Germany host Costa Rica in Munich), I am sure that I will enjoy this year's even more.

2 comments:

  1. I'm pretty down today. If the Canucks lose tonight then I'll surrender for 2010 and admit this isn't my year as far as sports teams.

    Eat crap, Chelsea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, it's Frank Lampard, not Lombard.

    The video is down but matchhighlight.com has the clips from Dailymotion with Martin Tyler's Sky commentary.

    No fourpeat for us unfortunately. But the title is coming back to Old Trafford next year.

    ReplyDelete

Read the Commenting Guidelines before commenting.