Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Eagles Won't Be Tagging Anyone

My apologies if it seems I have been doing this blog half-assed over the past week or so. I have been very busy with some of my classes (in partiuclar one), and now that what I needed to get done with is, well, done with, I am feeling exhausted. Give me a day or so, and hopefully I'll be back in the complete swing of things.

Anyway, on to the news piece, apparently the Eagles will not be franchise tagging anyone. Which to me is a surprise, considering they have quite a few free agents, most notably Brian Dawkins.

The Eagles will not put the franchise tag on any of their free agents, a team source said yesterday.
NFL teams have until tomorrow to designate a franchise or transition player in advance of the start of free agency Feb. 27.

In 2008, the Eagles designated tight end L.J. Smith as a franchise player. Under the terms of the collective-bargaining agreement, Smith received the average salary of the top five players at his position. But Smith had a disappointing season and the Eagles probably won't offer him a contract.

The source also did not deny the Eagles plan to meet with Donovan McNabb's agent, Fletcher Smith, to discuss a contract extension, and seemed confident a deal will be completed with the 32-year-old quarterback. McNabb has two years remaining on his current deal. Smith could not be reached for comment.
Seeing as the Eagles do have a lot of free agents, it is somewhat surprising that they would not tag anyone. The other free agents this year are L.J. Smith (he's a definite goner), Correll Buckhalter (he may or may not stay, if the Eagles are intent on going after Beanie Wells, then I doubt we will see him again in Philly), Tra Thomas, and Jon Runyan, who have been offensive line staples for as long as I can remember. It is surprising that neither of them have been tagged by the Eagles, who do have lots of salary cap room to make a big move this off-season and get a major draft pick.

Remember Eagles: TRADE FOR ANQUAN BOLDIN! or SIGN T.J. HOUSHMANDZADEH! But most important of all, DRAFT BEANIE WELLS!

Eagles won't put a franchise tag on free agents (Philadelphia Inquirer)

2 comments:

  1. I know how you feel. I had complete a project for my buisness class in about two days. Stressful as hell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @JFein, try your luck with the wonderlic test.

    http://keithssportsjournal.blogspot.com/2009/02/are-you-smarter-than-vince-young.html

    ReplyDelete

Read the Commenting Guidelines before commenting.