Saturday, February 21, 2009

Two Teams Possibly Interested In Michael Vick

There is little doubt in my mind that even though it won't be with Atlanta, Michael Vick will be in the NFL this season and he will be a starter. And as it turns out, I'm not even that far off with where I think he will end up. The reports have been going around that the San Francisco 49ers would be interested in the services of Vick, but I thought that the Vikings would think about making a run at him as well, and as it turns out, that might actually be true. Via NBC Sports

San Francisco coach Mike Singletary said Vick deserves the chance to play in the league, and believes he will be successful if he returns. He wouldn’t say if the 49ers would pursue him.

“He’s still under contract, you can’t really talk to him or have any contact with him,” Singletary said. “Right now, we’re just going to look at the quarterbacks we have and go from there.” .....

Minnesota coach Brad Childress said the Vikings are looking for someone to challenge Tarvaris Jackson, and are willing to make moves to ensure that it happens.

“We need to put somebody in place that will push him and compete with him,” Childress said. “I think competition is the nature of the game.”

Childress wouldn’t confirm or deny interest in Vick.

“I really don’t get into hypotheticals because I think there’s too much water that’s got to happen. I’d cross that bridge when I come to it.”
I know there are several people who do not want to see Michael Vick back in the league (I'm looking at you, PETA), but my belief is that everybody deserves a second chance. Vick did his crime, did his time, and there is no reason that, assuming he keeps his criminal record clean once out of jail, that he should not be under contract in the NFL. Now how effective will he be after spending nearly 2 years in the pokey is something that will be seen, but he definitley deserves a chance, and whether it ends up being with Minnesota, San Francisco, or somewhere else, in all likelihood he'll get that chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read the Commenting Guidelines before commenting.