Monday, February 23, 2009

The Latest In Whacky Eagles Rumors That Won't Come To Fruition

If I had a penny for every different Eagles off-season rumor that I have seen/read/heard this year, I'd have more money than Jeffrey Lurie, Andy Reid, and Donovan Mcnabb combined. And yes, there have been some that I did not report on here. And just when I was beginning to resign myself to stop reporting here on every major possibility that I came across and just wait for the actual free agency to begin, I came across this gem that really stood out at me and even gave me that giddy feeling in my stomach. The latest possible Eagle.....Marvin Harrison! Via InGameNow

Marvin Harrison is not ready to retire, but as valuable as he is to the Colts, the two parties cannot seem to agree on a new contract. The Colts acknowledge that his services are getting to be too expensive for them to keep, with Harrison taking up $13.4M in salary cap. Harrison has played for the Colts for the past 13 years.

While it appears Indianapolis will be releasing Harrison very soon, the most logical speculation is that he may end up in Philadelphia. He can play in the city where he already lives, while at the same time reunite with his old Syracuse teammate Donovan McNabb.
It does make all the sense in the world that should Harrison indeed be released by the Colts that the Eagles would be a frontrunner to get the receiver. For one thing, the Eagles need a big-time receiver (whether Heckert will admit it or not) and for a second thing, Harrison went to the same school as McNabb ('Cuse) and on top of that, the man still lives in Philly!

However, one has to wonder, would the frivolous gun accusation on Harrison stop the Eagles from making the move? Personally, I always thought he was innocent and now I believe I read somewhere the other day that the man making the accusation was either being tried or in jail for, of all things, lying to police! One also has to question his age. The man is 36-years old, so the question also becomes does he still have it in him to be a stand-out player? I think yes, but I have thought wrong many times before.

To wrap things up, if Harrison does become available, I'd love to see him as an Eagle. That would be awesome, especially seeing as the Eagles may only have one or two more years before they enter a re-building stage that will consist of them sucking for several years.

FYI, I was hoping to put up a Top-10 coach's press conference meltdowns today but the internet in my building has been having tons of problems. It's been down for most of the day, and I've resorted to being in a campus CPU lab to get on the internet (which is where I am posting this from). And sadly, some people in here are actually working so I do not want to play the videos (I have to check to make sure I'm not putting up some guy doing a cheap imitation).

2 comments:

  1. The Eagles would be better off with Boldin. Harrison would have the same impact on the Eagles as Isaac Bruce had with the 49ers last year.

    He would be a reliable veteran, but not your go-to WR.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They would be better off with Boldin, but I don't see the Eagles giving up a high draft pick at the minimum for him. If the Eagles make the offer, you know the Cards will have to ask for one of the Eagles 1st rounders.

    ReplyDelete

Read the Commenting Guidelines before commenting.