Thursday, November 5, 2009

Keith Olbermann Has Been Making Quite A Bit Of Headlines

Seeing as my last big Keith Olbermann post got linked big, I guess I should preface this by telling new visitors to this site that I am a liberal and a democrat and voted for Obama in the 2008 election (and every other Democrat that ran for office in my area).

I should have been getting most of this stuff up earlier, but my workload and a little thing called the World Series prevented this. I have 3 (count 'em, 3!!!) Keith Olbermann head scratchers for you.

Now I'm about the farthest thing possible from a religious person, but if Bob Griese is suspended for a game for making a bad joke about about Montoya and a taco, then surely Keith Olbermann would be suspended for telling Glenn Beck to go to hell, right?



First of all, nice job Keith of putting everything Glenn Beck into a nice beautiful context so that all could understand. That's sarcasm by the way. For the full monologue instead of a quote that was beautifully cut and picked apart and spliced together, here is what Glenn said, and while I don't agree in principle with his point about healthcare, it is not the worst point in the world to make and there was no exploitation as Olbermann made you believe.



How on earth this guy still has a show is utterly beyond me. Not only did he tell Glenn Beck to "go to hell" but he insinuated that the average Americans that support Beck's 9/12 Project can go to hell as well. And frankly, there are a bunch of crazy radical groups out there. The 9/12 Project is not one of those.

It also does not help him that since his boy Obama got elected, MSNBC's ratings are going down down down. So much so that on multiple occasions, Olbermann has made up non-existent calbe news demographics to make himself look better. It's pathetic, really.

And to think we're just a third of the way through this post.

Those of us familiar with the real Olbermann know that he is a pathological liar. This does even more to confirm that theory.

Here's the PbP of Olbermann's whereabouts on Tuesday night courtesy of OlbermannWatch.

MSNBC boasted that on election night they would present a "special live edition of Countdown" at 10:00 pm. But with bad news for the Democrats in Virginia and New Jersey, a funny thing happened on the way to the bonus [Countdown}. Keith wasn't there! After a live update (not from Olby but from Lawrence O'Donnell) [MSNBC] ("the place for politics") proceeded to rerun the 8:00 pm showing.

Update: Steve Krakauer hears one possible explanation of Olby's whereabouts:

"Around 10:15pmET, there was a commercial break, and the repeat 8pmET Countdown kicked in. It aired the rest of the hour. We hear Olbermann was visiting his dad in the hospital, which accounted for his absence. But that doesn't answer why O'Donnell or Matthews didn't fill in during the prime results hour. In the MSNBC release Monday, it was listed as a live edition of Countdown."

Update update: Does anyone really believe what is almost certainly an MSNBC leak, that he was visiting his sick Dad? Especially when nobody is willing to go on the record to say it's true? Keith announced at 8:59 pm that he and Larry O'Donnell would be back at 10:00. So what happened between 9:00 and 10:00 pm that might have sent Olby to the bathtub? Could it have been Corzine losing? Ya think? Will [Olbermann] show up tonight? Or will he end up at Yankee Stadium? That would be peculiar, if his dad's illness prevented Olby from staying at work past ten o'clock, but allows him to spend all night at a ball game.

Update Update Update: Well Keith is just where we thought he'd be: Yankee Stadium, merrily posting one blog entry after another at tonight's game. So either his Dad made a miraculous recovery from just 24 hours ago, or MSNBC's PR line explaining away Keith's sudden disappearance on election night is even shadier than we suspected. Discuss and resolve.
First a comment about the elections. I'm not going to use this post to tell you "I told you so", but after Obama won and the Democrats won even more seats in both the House and the Senate, I stated in no uncertain terms that slowly but surely the Republicans would start getting some power back in this country and that in 2010 they would get some more seats. While it's obviously not 2010 yet, the fact that the GOP got governors victories in New Jersey and Virginia of all places, certainly tells me that they are on their way to fulfilling my prediction. Like I said, the phrase "I told you so" did not appear in that analysis. But JFein, you said above you were a liberal democrat, how could you predict such things? Are you a hypocrit? No, new reader, like I said in the Phillies live blog last night, I'm not a pessimist, I'm a realist. And while sports and politics have hardly anything in common, go to that live blog last night and read through it and see the number of times my "Debbie Downer pessimistic" predictions came true. It's startling.

(Am I the only one that has problems seeing names when I click on the 2nd and 3rd parts at the bottom? Oh well, my crowning call is in the first part anyway.

Secondly, I seriously challenge anyone to defend this douche and this douchebaggery. And by defend, I don't mean to say state that Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity and Glenn Beck and "Fixed Noise" (as you Olby fans love to say) are worse. Like actually defend this guy has an honest, fair, and balanced journalist who will be remembered as the next Edward R. Murrow. Give me reasons that Olbermann is good, not a random tangent that Fox News is worse. As much hell as Fox got for being a shill for the Republican Party and Bush and read Bush talking points do-da do-da, through it all, they all allowed guests with opposing views to come on and generate discussions. The last time Keith Olbermann did that was....uh....never. And sarcasm aside, he did not do it all last month. OlbermannWatch has the proof.

Lastly is a little more light-hearted matter, but nonetheless, one that is sure to drive fans of Keith Olbermann completely nuts and searching for answers and desparate explanations of pure hilarity. This pitcure was taken by Keith Olbermann and actually put online for the entire blogosphere to see on his blog, The Baseball Nerd

You're eyes are not deceiving you and I have not lied to you about the origins of the picture. This really is Keith Olbermann taking a picture of a smiling Rudi Giuliani who is in return taking a picture of Keith Olbermann.

To quote perhaps the most famous quote in World Series history, I don't believe what I've just seen....

7 comments:

  1. JFein,

    Just like KO, political analysis is not your bag. Oh and by the way, the Democrats did swing the NY 23 house race, with the Republican going from 65% in 2008 to 46%. So, to present Tuesday as an unmitigated disaster for Dems is just way off, unless you're auditioning for the DC beltway punditocracy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not say that Tuesday was an unmitigated disaster for the Dems, but the big stories of the election were the Republicans winning. I never said they won every race imaginable, but most of the high proflie stories of that election were the Republicans winning.

    You can doubt it all you want, but bank on the GOP taking seats in 2010 in both the House and the Senate in 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is because the media only is talking about the races the Republicans won, but I'll concede your point.

    To assume that 2010 will be like this is insane. It all depends on how people feel the economy is doing at that time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and Ted Turner nailed it when it comes to cable news: it's all basically he said-she said. You hardly ever get actual reporting anymore. At the very least there should be a Stat Boy on every one of these shows making sure people are saying things that are accurate and truthful. I'm not gonna hold my breath waiting for that innovation though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eep! I commented with the wrong account. Oh well.

    OT, but like my new pic?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Harry and all, but baseball season is over, it's time to move on, and while I certainly will never forget him, my pic is due for a change and this is one of my new favorite pics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your pic. I am surprised you haven't photoshopped a cheeseteak in there yet.

    /cheapshot'd

    ReplyDelete

Read the Commenting Guidelines before commenting.