Monday, November 9, 2009

Possible Landing Point For Vick In 2010: Buffalo

Look, I love Michael Vick and am really glad he ended up in Philadelphia, but at the same time, he has been sparsely used; only twice in last night's loss to Dallas (see the comments section in the live blog for my thoughts on that one), so the odds that the Eagles pick up his $5.2M option are looking quite small at this point. So where does he end up? Well, Tony Dungy has not been shy in thinking that Michael Vick is a future Buffalo Bill. From Yahoo! Sports

Tony Dungy says Michael Vick(notes) could potentially wind up in Buffalo, which he says previously discussed signing the quarterback.

Dungy has served as an adviser to Vick since the Super Bowl-winning coach retired from the Colts after last season. Now a commentator for NBC, Dungy confirmed during the pregame show Sunday night before Philadelphia hosted Dallas that the Bills and Vick “talked originally” when Vick was searching for a team after serving 18 months in federal prison for running a dogfighting ring.

The Eagles signed Vick to a $1.6 million contract for 2009, with a team option for the second year at $5.2 million. But he has played sparingly.

“I told Michael to just worry about this year,” Dungy said. “It’s technically up to Philadelphia. If they want him back, he has to stay there. If they don’t, there are some teams looking for quarterbacks: Cleveland, St. Louis and Washington.

“But I think a dark horse is Buffalo. They talked originally. There was some communication there. I think that could be a good spot.”

Vick has not been the weapon for the Eagles some expected and he was in for only two plays in their 20-16 loss to the Dallas Cowboys on Sunday night. Vick said his focus is on helping the Eagles win a Super Bowl and not where he’ll play next year.

“It’s what I thought it would be,” Vick said. “I knew I couldn’t come in and do anything that would disrupt the rhythm of the offense and what we had going on here. I knew I was going to have to be patient.”

Bills starter Trent Edwards(notes) struggled this season before sustaining a concussion. Ryan Fitzpatrick(notes), a career backup, has been the starter with Edwards out of the lineup.

Vick didn’t want to talk about potential teams for the 2010 season.

“Me and Tony talked about my position in the future, whether I’m here or whether I’m there,” Vick said. “We talked about it, but the primary goal is to help this team win the Super Bowl.”

Vick has completed 2 of 6 passes for 6 yards and rushed 12 times for 27 yards, mostly out of the wildcat formation.
It's good to see Vick's head is in the right place here in Philadelphia and is not looking too forward to 2010. With all of the press in Philadelphia and the performance of Kolb in his two starts, things might be for the better if Vick is with another team next year to avoid the QB controversy, but at the same time, I am really glad that Vick got to be in Philly for a season. Even though we are yet to see him play for any extended meaningful playing time, and whether or not Vick will ever admit this, I do not think he could have come right back in the league and start for a crappy team, it would have had disaster written all over it. I do hope that he sees a little more playing time out of the wildcat and I would really like to see Vick get his first touchdown, either passing or running (or even catching in a gadget) in Philly, but at the same time, at this point, I can't see the Eagles picking up a $5.2M option for how infrequently they are using him.

2 comments:

  1. OT: Sorry for acting like a jerk on Twitter yesterday. I was still bitter about the Niners falling apart.

    Yes, I'm a sore loser.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ 49er16: You fell apart to Vince Young......you had every reason to be pissed off.

    ReplyDelete

Read the Commenting Guidelines before commenting.