Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Great Moments In Sports, #1

This idea came to me all of a sudden as I was looking at some older sports videos today in YouTube. I figured hey, why not start a twice weekly feature on great moments in sports that will consist of 5 videos per post featuring actual great moments in sports, to well, more trite moments of ridiculousness and absurdity and in some cases even downright horridness in sports. Basically, it's any sports moment worth remembering that it has a video on YouTube! ;-)

First up, and you know I have to start with Philadelphia, it's one of the best moments in Eagles history made by hero turned football laughing stock Freddie Mitchell. Yep, you guessed it, it's 4th and 26. Believe.



I actually used to have a "4th & 26" shirt that said "4th and 26" on it with a picture of the chains and on the back it simply said "Believe". Actually, although very doubtful that it fits, I might still have it somewhere.....

Next up, because I am anxiously anticipation its return in August, one of the most amazing plays I can ever remember from the Little League World Series (and because I am such a fan, and I am proud to admit that, I might add, you can expect wall to wall coverage on this blog when the time comes).



Sticking with the Little League World Series, how about a walk off to win the world championship>



And now, perhaps one of the most embarrassing and pathetic moments in sports. The Malice in the Palace as it has come to be known, starring none other than Ron Artest. And just to clarify so I don't get bashed in the comments section, when I say "great" moments, it's all encompassing of both the truly great and the ones we would rather forget. This obviously being the latter and the worst of the latter to say the least. But not to be hypocritical, it most certainly is memorable, so it gets a spot on this new feature. (it's in 3 parts, mainly because of the breakdown that Steve Levy gives afterwards that shows more of what actually happened as opposed to the live video, which is in part 1 and the 2nd half of part 2).





The fifth and final great moment of the day will head over to MXC and a Tiny Trike race that consists of one of the most thrilling finishes in the history of professional triking.



I don't know about you, but I honestly think that Vic Romano would make a great play by play announcer for pretty much any sport.

So ends the 1st column of Great Moments in Sports. I hope you enjoyed it! If you have any thoughts, suggestions, or ideas as to what may constitute a great moment in sports, please email me (FYI, when I finally stop being lazy and turn my thoughts into action, I plan on creating a GMail account for this blog for you to email me compliments, criticisms, compliments, ideas, compliments, stories, compliments, thoughts for the next Song of the Day or a Great Moment in Sports, and compliments). And I'll let you know both via email and blog post when I have finally done such.

1 comment:

Read the Commenting Guidelines before commenting.