Saturday, April 25, 2009

The Eagles Make Up For An Epic Flyers Meltdown

Well, the Flyers may have blown a 3 goal lead to lose 5-3 and be eliminated from the playoffs, but the Eagles had an all right draft day, if I don't say so myself. I think that I was the only one in our live blog that liked the pick of Jeremy Maclin (although Pettigrew would have been a tad better) and the Eagles need a running back and LeSean "Shady" McCoy is not bad at all. I shall avoid discussing the former team mentioned in this post, but shall discuss the Eagles draft picks.

Maclin is a very similar to DeSean Jackson, which may not be such a bad thing for them. Consider the success that Jackson had as a rookie last year. If Jackson improves and Maclin is as good as Jackson, then the Eagles have exactly what they always wanted. You can have the speedsters Jackson and Maclin on the outside and you can put Curtis in the slot, a position where he is probably a little bit more comfortable. With Reggie Brown, Jason Avant and Hank Baskett as the 4th and 5th and 6th receivers, that is not a bad combo at all (although I would not be surprised if Reggie Brown is cut). Wide receiver should no longer be a concern for the Eagles and McNabb has more of what he wants. Maclin has breakaway speed and can be very dangerous with the yards after the catch.

And in the 2nd round, the Eagles went with the PA product, LeSean "Shady" McCoy who went to high school at Bishop McDevitt in Harrisburg, college at Pitt, and now has been drafted by the Eagles. This kid has the potential to be lightning in a bottle if given the opportunity and will definitley fare well by having Brian Westbrook above him. I'd expect to see Shady get a lot of carries this year, assuming he avoids injury. I can see him as a definite upgrade to Correll Buckhalter, who I never saw as anything special (other than his toughness and resilance to battle back from 3 season-ending knee injuries in 4 years and still be playing in the league today).

Join me tomorrow as I hilariously attempt to live blog the 2nd day of the draft. If I'm lucky, my analysis and insight might be slightly better than that of a 3-year old's on this day, but alas, I've always considered myself more of the PbP type anyway (and if you've followed my live blogs closely both using Blogger and CiL, you'll have noticed I always go heavy on the PbP to cover up the spots where I'm not exactly a brillant analyst or strategist).

Meanwhile, to end the day in Phillies sports, the Phils have beaten the Marlins yet again, 6-4 in 10 innings and all of their wins this season have been of the comeback variety, including this one, where they trailed 4-3 in the top of the ninth before tying it in that inning.

Okay, 2 things on the Flyers (I was not planning on doing this), but first of all, while time will tell whether a conference quarterfinal game will qualify as one of those infamous Philly moments, but blowing a 3-goal lead in game 6 to lose the series is definitley one of those Philly moments and it was depressing to see to say the least. But alas, cheering me up a bit in some odd fashion was that I was at arguably one of the greatest, disappointing, heartbreaking, infamous, and memorable games in Flyers history (and no, it was not today). In the 2000 playoffs (yes, the year of the 5 OT game) the Flyers were up 3 games to 1 on the New Jersey Devils in the Eastern Conference Finals with home ice advantage. The Flyers proceeded to lose the next 2 games setting up Game 7 in Philadelphia. And for those that don't know, are too young to know, or just don't remember, this was the game that killed every Flyers fan a little bit. The Devils won the game 2-1, thus completing the choke job, but it was Eric Lindros' last game as a Flyer and this is the moment that is forever embedded into every Flyers fans skull as one, if not, the most infamous moment in their franchise history. And again, I was there that day at the the Wachovia First Union Center.



Stevens' hit on Eric Lindros and subsequently Lindros' last moments as a Flyer. I'm telling you, I'll never forget that day and being at the First Union Center (now known as the Wachovia Center) for that moment. I think I'll end this post with a message to Sidney Crosby in a makeshift Song of the Day, if you will. Titled, appropriately enough, "Fuck You" by Archive.



I'm such a good sport over this, aren't I? ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read the Commenting Guidelines before commenting.